... the trek north ...

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Punda Cart Surfing

Ok, I have to get a picture of this sometime, but until I do you will all just have to settle for a verbal description.


So as you go down the roads of Kenya, you will see pundas (donkeys) EVERYWHERE!!! They are used to pull carts and all sorts of other tasks. But the thing that is the most fun to watch is the young guys who are punda cart surfing. The carts that the pundas pull have 2 wheels, so they kind of teeter-totter back and forth if they aren’t balanced and they usually are piled high with TONS of stuff (everything from produce for the market and fire wood to people's possessions). So sometimes you see guys standing up on the carts, balancing like a surfer as the punda is running full speed down a huge hill (and pundas can run remarkably fast!). It’s absolutely hilarious. It also has to require a great amount of skill. And I think it would hurt a lot more falling from a punda cart then it would falling from a surfboard. But like I said, I have to get a picture of this- it’s way cooler when you can see it!

No comments: