... the trek north ...
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Mwalimu Lindsey
Speaking of English being a hilarious language (see previous post), I am now teaching English. I'm working on basic literacy (English and Swahili) with the women who come to our sewing program, and I'm teaching one of the girls English (reading, writing, speaking) until we can find her a full-time teacher (my teammates are covering the other subjects). But teaching English is ironically helping my Swahili because I will give directions in English but then I have to translate things back to Swahili so my students understand (at least for now). So talk about an adventure! My spelling has improved since I was in school so don't worry! I'll try to make sure to teach these ladies to spell things the correct way (although Swahili spelling is WAY easier then English! In swahili you spell it like it sounds- no breaking rules, no weird sounds (except for that ng'u sound- its a little challenging!!))
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
"My teacher, I have a question." That's what one of my students said to me the other day.
Congratulations on your newly acquired role in life! I'm glad it's helping your Swahili. I think you'll enjoy it because there's lots to analyze...I'm sure you could make charts and diagrams...how the languages compare, what roadblocks are keeping your student from truly understanding this concept, how many grammar rules are similar, how many are different?
Just trying to add some fun to your adventure! :) Next week is my "Crash Course in Phonics" with all my students...hmm...I wonder if any will even come or if they'll consider it not worthwhile?
Post a Comment