... the trek north ...

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Todays's Adventure: Baking Lessons!!!

I love to bake.  And cook.  And hang out with my teenagers.  Today was a great day because I got to do all three!  School is on term break right now, so this was the perfect time to have another baking party with my teen girls. 
 




Baking lessons soon morph into math lessons (hey, fractions are hard!), english lessons and science lessons.  We skipped the savory stuff this time and went straight for the sweet.  Chocolate cake.  Sugar cookies (with homemade colored sugar to decorate them). All from scratch!!





If I were baking all this alone, it might take me 2 hours or so.  I love that with these girls, this becomes an all day event.  That is because its more about time together and enjoying each other then it is about getting the task accomplished.   Sometimes this approach to life can drive me crazy (particularly when there is something we HAVE TO accomplish in a certain time frame), but on days like today, it just makes it more fun! 


Since we had so many cookies and so much cake, I had a few of my friends from up country and their girls stop by and help us finish it all!! 

So in the end, great friends, good food and a lot of fun.  It was a great day!!! Now to take on the disaster that is my kitchen.... (although I can't complain too much, the girls helped with most of the dishes and mess...)

No comments: