... the trek north ...

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Another Night of Northern Lights!

Mt McKinley at sunset

The Northern Lights were out again (technically they are ALWAYS out- you just can't always see them). They weren't as spectacular as the night before but they were still fabulous!  There was a lot of purple light- apparently that's rare to see.   

 My new night-sky photography friends came out again last night- its fun to get to know people who enjoy the same types of photography I do!  Admittedly, not many people think its fun to sit on the side of a mountain for 5 hours staring at the sky- even if the aurora isn't bright I enjoy just looking at the stars.  I think that is the BEST way to spend an evening, but I get that not everyone thinks its fun.  So its nice to have friends that will jump in their car and drive half an hour at 2am just to see the aurora.  Good thing I have Mondays off!
 You have to be patient for the Northern Lights though, so many cars would pull up, they would wait 5 minutes, not see anything spectacular, turn around a leave.  But if you are patient, you can see some amazing things!

No comments: