I had a fantastic Christmas- it was a bit more adventurous then I had anticipated, but it was still a blast! I stayed in Alaska for Christmas but I planned short trips around Central Alaska during my vacation. Did you ever read a Choose Your Own Adventure Book as a kid? That's how my Christmas Break went.
On Christmas Eve, I drove down the Kenai Peninsula to Seward, because I wanted to explore the port town! I had made a reservation at a hotel in the tiny village of Moose Pass for Christmas Eve, and I drove down the Peninsula without a problem. I had a great day taking pictures in Seward, but as it got dark, I decided I should head towards my hotel for the night. I pulled into the parking lot to find a very closed, locked up hotel. Not a soul in site. Not so great.
It was cold and dark on Christmas Eve, and like Mary and Joseph, I found there was no room in the inn.
I found a few phone numbers for the owners but couldn't get through to anyone. After about 30 minutes of sitting in the dark parking lot, I decided I had several choices. I could 1) stay where I was and hope someone came back and let me in (not a fantastic choice) 2) drive 30 minutes back to Seward and hope there was a room open late on Christmas Eve (but if there wasn't I would have driven 60 miles in the wrong direction) or 3) drive back up the Peninsula, through the mountains in the dark and go back to Anchorage where my nice warm apartment was waiting for me. Since I hardly had any cell reception and no data reception to check hotels in Seward, I opted to drive back to Anchorage. Through the dark and snow and mountains and moose.
I made it safely back to Anchorage, only to find out that they had revised the weather report after I had left earlier that day. Moose Pass was now expected to get 31" of snow overnight on Christmas Eve. I would have been stuck there for DAYS!! So it really was a blessing I had to leave.
cute harbor seals made the whole thing worth it!
I made it back to Anchorage around 10pm on Christmas eve, found a Lutheran Church with a late Christmas eve service (where, like true Lutherans, they sing their carols in the original German and Swedish). And I had a wonderful Christmas day skyping with my family.



No comments:
Post a Comment