... the trek north ...

Saturday, February 06, 2010

Mosquito Nets ... grrrrrr

Ok, in all my travel's I've never been able to master the art of the mosquito net. You'd think I would have. I've had a lot of practice in a lot of places: in New Guinea when the mosquitoes and centipedes were out, in India where the cockroaches climbing on you at night were worse then the mosquitoes, and other places. I always START OUT under the mosquito net- I just don't stay there. Inevitably, at least half of me will no longer be under the mosquito net when I wake up- and at that point what's the point? Half of my body has been exposed to malaria-carrying mosquitoes all night. Why even bother?

At my old place outside of town, we rarely had to worry about mosquitoes- so I was saved. That's not the case at my current house. We are in town (but still above the malaria line (malarial mosquitoes don't live higher then 8000ft- and Nairobi is malaria free! yay!)) and we have a ton of mosquitoes- especially this time of year. The rains of December and January created a ton of stagnant water- so tons of mosquitoes. After a few nights of being completely eaten alive, I finally caved and got a mosquito net. I actually left it hanging but tied up for a few weeks before it became imparative that I try to use it again.

I just don't like mosquito nets. For all those girls who always dreamed of having a princess bed with fluffy curtains/canopy things, this might be a dream come true. I was not one of those girls. I just feel claustrophobic and keep fighting with the net all night long. However, since my landlord got a new bed for my room, this is actually easier. Since the bed is huge, I don't end up in knock down drag out brawls with the net every night (although my roommate did a compete nose dive out of bed a few mornings ago when she got caught in her mosquito net!)

So I seem to have mastered the art of the mosquito net. But I keep finding mosquitoes INSIDE the net when I wake up (ok, I've only found 3 but that's beside the point- the point of the net is to keep all mosquitoes out!) How are they getting in? I'm careful to tuck the net in all around the mattress! Sneaky buggers!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you have got to post pictures of you in your "princess" bed. I hope you got the pink misquito net....that would be awesome!