Today I learned some new skills. My friend was throwing the party and asked me to help man the grills. At home in the US, I rarely get to grill because my dad and brother always do the grilling but I know HOW to grill! I'm just not used to grilling on a not-what-I'm-used-to grill called a jiko. I'm used to lighting a gas grill or charcoal with lighter fluid. I'm not used to tiny, mystery, charcoal grills with no lighter fluid or anything. I worked for 40 minutes and finally got it going... sort of. But it wasn't going enough because it went out completely. So we started again. A friend of mine took pity on me and taught me the secrets of the jiko- ie the secret door in the base where you put the newspaper to light the charcoal. It went SOOOO much better after that! Jikos are tiny grills that are the traditional cook stoves of Kenya. Lots of people still use them. Just not me before today.
Then the grilling marathon was on. Jikos are tiny- you can fit about 3 hamburgers on each one- so we had 2 jikos going. We were grilling burgers, hotdogs, chicken, you name it we grilled it! I really wanted some marshmallows to roast on the coals when we were done- but no s'mores today :( It was really funny to have 2 girls grilling- there were tons of guys and dad's around-usually they are the grill masters.At one point I was standing outside and everyone inside was singing Happy Birthday to one of the little girls. When they got to the girl's name, my friend (who's not American) turned to me and said "I thought they were singing Happy Birthday to America!"

But it was a fun day. I've never shared the 4th of July with so much cultural diversity. We had Caucasian Americans, African Americans, Kenyan Americans, adopted Americans who don't live in America but are US passport holders, Canadians, Kenyans, Brits and about 20 some kids running around. So much food. So many friends. Such a good time.
Time to watch some 1776 "Someone's gotta OOOOOOPen up a window!" Such a great movie!
No comments:
Post a Comment