... the trek north ...

Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Happy Madaraka Day!!

Its Madaraka Day!! I didn't get Memorial Day off but this will work!

Madaraka Day is the day we celebrate the first step in Kenya's independence from Brittan.  Most online resources say that June 1, 1963 was when Kenya received its "internal independence" (whatever THAT means- considering Kenya received its official independence on Dec 12, 1963 and officially became a republic on Dec 12, 1964 or as both are now known, Jamhuri Day).  Maybe the "internal independence" means they were independent "for all intents and purposes"???

But its a holiday filled with speeches and stuff like that (I'm definitely steering clear of Downtown today!  The parks will be FULL!)  All my friends say Madaraka means "freedom" but the dictionary say it means "obligation" (which is similar to a class I took in college but that was about the books of James and Galatians, not Kenyan history...)  so I'm a little confused as to the meaning.  The holiday, however, is all about national pride. 

So for all of you who wish you could have extended your Memorial Day weekend a bit longer and spent the entire weekend regaling all of us on facebook with your stories of rest and relaxation... HA!!! I have today off!!  Rest and Relaxation here I come!!

No comments: