I got a surprise phone call from one of my kiddos today. And that's not all that strange- my kids call me pretty much everyday. But this was special- this kid and his mom had been resettled overseas and I hadn't heard from them in well over a year. As you know, I work with an incredibly transient population- refugees are always moving, and for many, their goal is to be resettled overseas. And even though I want what's best for them, and I want the opportunities and security that resettlement affords them, I miss them when they go!! I'm selfish- I want my friends to stick around!
It was so good to hear from this guy. He is in school, he is DRIVING, and just doing so well. Then his mom got on the phone and spoke to me in ENGLISH!! I have known this woman for years- since I first moved to Kenya- and she has NEVER spoke to me in English before. Ever. But she is in school and now calling me on the phone to speak in English.
I love it. This guy has grown so much! When he left Kenya, he was refusing to attend school and basically finding trouble anywhere he could. Now he's in school and will graduate in a year. Mom has a job and is learning a new language. Not everyone adjusts this well to resettlement. But this is what we want- for them to establish new lives for themselves. Its just doesn't always happen- but it sure is encouraging when we hear that they are thriving in their new home!!
No comments:
Post a Comment