... the trek north ...

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Kaimati

Tomorrow is Eid. Well at least in Nairobi.  In some parts of the world, Eid is today (Saturday) and in other parts, it will be tomorrow. And Kenya will celebrate the public holiday on Monday.  The differences in timing are all to do with different sects of Islam, geography, astronomy, and the weather.  Long story, but in Nairobi, the leaders decided last night (Friday night) that Eid would be on Sunday here. 

Eid-ul-Fitr is the end of the month long Ramadan fast and it is celebrated with a ton of good food.   It is even a Public Holiday here.  Every few years I try to make Kaimati,  a typical Eid treat that some friends tried to teach me once- they are kind of like donut holes.  I took a little artistic license with mine this year (which is kind of the point when you are cooking from recipes that don't have specific measurements!)  I added a little milk to the batter and decided to glaze them instead of the usual sugar syrup glaze- oh and I dropped the cardamom because that's not my favorite flavor.  So I guess they loosely resemble kaimati- but they turned out GREAT!! 


 YUMMY!!!!!!  


So here's my Kaimati for tomorrow.  Or today.  Or Monday- whenever people are celebrating!!!

No comments: