... the trek north ...

Friday, November 23, 2012

A "Help Linds Clean Out Her Pantry Before She Leaves" Thanksgiving

Yesterday was Thanksgiving. Turkey Day.  The Day With WAY Too Much Food.

Everyone has their traditions for this day but most traditions revolve around family and food.   But when you live overseas, you often have to get a bit creative. I mean there is no turkey, pie or Thanksgiving Day Parade, but we can still have a good time with NEW traditions. 

I'm usually up for any kind of T-day celebration, but this year, I'm busy.  I mean, I'm moving in 4 days.  My housemate is moving too.  We didn't have time to do the big Thanksgiving this year.   UNTIL, I decided this would be a Clean Out The Pantry Thanksgiving.   What is a Clean Out The Pantry Thanksgiving??  It is when you only cook things you can make with the items in your pantry (or at least that's what I say it is.  I think I made it up).  And I had a ton of stuff to use up before I go!  Flour, sugar, spices, rice, you name it.  We did buy fresh veggies and dairy products, but that's about it. 

So I went through the pantry and decided to make an incredibly eclectic meal- seriously NONE of this food goes together.  And then we decided to invite a big group of international friends (who aren't Americans or Canadians, so they won't miss the real thing) and have a big ol' party. 

The girls came early to cook and watch Christmas movies, the guys came later to help us eat all the food!  

 Here's the menu:
Thai Coconut Red Curry Soup (that was a total experiment and I thought had completely bombed about half way through cooking but was redeemed in the end- and was the favorite of the night!)
Chicken Curry
Chili
Shiro and tortillas (because I can't make the injera that is supposed to go with them)
Barbeque Chicken Pizza
Cabbage Salad
Salad
Veggies and Dip

And then their was Desert:

And the guests- 9 people from 6 countries (and for 6  of them, their first Thanksgiving)

This was the PERFECT way to celebrate the holiday, spend time with great friends and use up all my groceries in the process!!

Just a few more days and I'll be back in the US!!  So much to do!

No comments: