... the trek north ...

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Samosas and Goodbyes

I'm getting really sick of goodbyes.  That sounds bad.  I'm not sick of hearing goodbyes- I'm just sick of having to say them.  Its difficult to have so many "lasts" and "ends".   But that's what happens when you leave- you have to say goodbye.  This weekend is going to be tough- I've got a whole long list full of goodbyes to say to the people I care about the most here.  But the countdown is on- 11 days left.  I've gotta get these goodbyes in sometime. 

Today was the last baking day with my girls.  We made cinnamon rolls and samosas.  They go together right?  Fried meat pies and sticky, gooey breakfast rolls??  Who cares.  They were both awesome. 

I'd been asking for an official samosa-making lesson before I leave and today the girls came through.  Samosas are a popular snack here in East Africa as well as plenty of other places around the world (like India).  They are these fried triangles filled with - well whatever you want!  The flavors vary depending on where you are in the world, but we made meat samosas today. They are not a quick snack to make but boy are they yummy!   Its easily a 5 stage process, but like I said- sooo worth it!  


First you have to make the meat (or veg) filling.  Then make the dough.  Then roll out the dough (with the nifty trick for making it super thin- you roll out 3 or so pieces to about the same size, then you put oil on top and stack them on top of each other.  Then you roll out the stack into a big, thin circle.  When you put the dough in the pan to par-cook, the layers poof up and you can quickly separate them (you could never roll out individual pieces this thin).  Next, you fill the samosas.  Then you fry them.  Yummy!!! Sorry I didn't get a picture of the finished product, but we ate them! 


Don't you love our lovely extra rolling pin?? I only have one so we used an old (but washed) soda bottle.  It got the job done. 

No comments: