... the trek north ...

Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Dark Skies

I knew when I moved here that the days would be short in winter.  Let me tell you, its one thing to know it cognitively, and an entirely different thing to experience it!  Right now, its 2:30 and I'm watching the sun set.  Its already below the treeline.  It will be below the horizon by 3:30.  The sun rises late and doesn't ever get high in the sky- it just sort of arcs across the Southeast to the Southwest.  But we still get some spectacular sunsets!

 But at least we have some sun- in Barrow, AK the sun set last week and won't rise above the horizon until late January!! I honestly don't know what I'd do. The days will keep getting shorter until Dec 21.

This whole lack of sunlight thing can get to you.  A lot of people struggle with seasonal depression and since the snow melted and the days continue to get shorter, its getting worse and worse.  (the snow bounces the light back at you, so even at night, if there is a lot of snow- it doesn't feel so dark).
I notice it.  I notice when the sun shines- it draws me like a magnate even if the sun shining through a window in a different room.  But I don't think I'm depressed.  I just notice and take advantage of the sun!

When you talk to people here, most aren't fond of the long nights.  And I get it.  Its inconvenient.  And you just sort of feel tired all the time because you can see stars by 4:30.  But on the flip side, you can see stars by 4:30!!!   I LOVE the night sky.  Stars, meteors, moon, northern lights- I love it all.  And when its clear, I get to see it for HOURS!! No more staying up to 2am waiting for the northern lights!  I saw them at 9:30 a few days ago!  I can't get to my usual place to take northern light pictures right now (the roads are pure ice and its straight up a mountain- not a wise plan) so I'm finding new places to go.



These are star trails over Mt Susitna.  So fun!


No comments: