... the trek north ...

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Eklutna Lake

I had the most amazing hike last week.  It had been a long week- my students were gearing up for finals and heading home on holiday, my co-worker has been on sabbatical for a month so I've been running the show here in Anchorage, and the dark days are getting old.  Its difficult to explain but it covertly effects your mood.

So on my day off, I decided I wanted a nice quiet hike in a beautiful place!   There are so many to choose from!  I decided to go back to a place I'd been already- Eklutna Lake.  Eklutna is a glacier-fed lake so it looks teal when the sun hits it. Its an easy hike around the lake, beautiful and only about 45 minutes from my house.

When I got to the trail head- there was only one other car in the parking lot.  AWESOME!!!   I had the entire lake to my self!  It was fantastic.  Some really good alone time for me (always important) and just some wonderful time to think and pray and enjoy creation.  The day was so calm, there was hardly any wind, all I could hear was the blood pumping in my head (until a ptarmigan jumped out of a tree- just about gave me a heart attack because I was listening so hard for moose that the ptarmigan (like a grouse) moved I was sure it was something HUGE!  it wasn't.)



No comments: