... the trek north ...

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Jamhuri Day

So Wednesday was Jamhuri Day! It’s a lot like our Independence Day. So my team and I took this opportunity to do some of the more touristy things around Nairobi that I hadn’t done yet.

We went to see part of the Great Rift Valley (which runs really near to my house). The Great Rift Valley runs from Mozambique to Israel.


Then we went to the Giraffe Center, where you can feed and pet the giraffes.


And no trip to the Giraffe Center is complete without getting a giraffe kiss- it’s sort of a Kenya Team initiation thing. NASTY!!!!!! Really, all they do is lick your chin, but still. NASTY!!!! I washed my face really well after that! So kids, don't give into peer pressure! Otherwise you will end up getting your face licked by a giraffe!


After Giraffe Center, we went to Carnivore for lunch. Now I think I have dreamed of some place like Carnivore all my life!!! It is all you can eat, unlimited meat. All sorts of meat. Beef, lamb, pork and chicken and a few exotic meats like crocodile and ostrich. So you sit there and waiters bring huge skewers of meat around and cut of pieces for you until you finally surrender and can’t eat another thing! Amazing lamb chops, great cuts of beef, yummy spare ribs! It’s a wonderful place! I think I may have finally made up for my year in India where I hardly ate any meat at all!


So that was my Jamhuri Day! Now it’s back to school for another week- then I am free for 2 weeks! I can’t wait!

No comments: