Ok pop quiz for all you in the US- what is today?? The rest of the world stops today because the World Cup is starting!! I know I know- World Cup really isn't our thing in the States. We are all about the Olympics, we love the Superbowl and World Series and we are all about the NBA Finals but the World Cup just sort of alludes us. We don't understand 1 whole month of football (this is a global event- its not soccer, its football!) Probably because the US Team isn't so hot. But that laissez-faire attitude won't fly in East Africa. World Cup is like the Olympics (winter AND summer), the Superbowl, March Madness, Stanley Cup Finals and the MTV Music Awards all rolled into one for us here. The 2012 World Cup in South Africa is all we've been talking about for months. Before that, we were talking about Africa Cup of Nations. And before that we were talking about something regarding football- I just don't remember what.
And it's not like any East African countries qualified for the World Cup (at least as far as I know- I am not the definitive source of World Cup info- I'm just doin' my best here). For sure, no East African country is considered a favorite to win. But everyone has THEIR team. Everyone. All the kids I work with have a team. Everyone has a favorite. Some of the big ones are Argentina, Spain, Netherlands and England.
Personally, my team is Brazil. Its not like I have a great reason for choosing them. I haven't studied the players and the games and the info to make a wise choice. I pretty much only choose Brazil because they won the first World Cup I was exposed to (in college) and all my friends that year were from Brazil, had lived in Brazil or just favored Brazil to win and I jumped on the bandwagon. So go Brazil!! Plus they have a killer record!
So who knows- I may even watch a game or two! But only if Brazil is winning!
1 comment:
Have you seen any games yet? I've been hearing the fans have been using some sort of noise maker that sounds like bee's, instead of cheering.
Post a Comment