- I like that the clock doesn’t stop. No commercial breaks until halftime. I love it. Sure, they add the additional time for penalties and such at the end but it goes WAY faster than American Football where those last 20 seconds on the clock can drag out for an hour.
- Listening to the announcers try to pronounce all the names. Too funny guys. Especially when they have to go between West African and Scandinavian names in the same game. Umlauts and glottal stops- it’s tough stuff.
- The announcers’ colloquialisms “He’s got ‘is shootin’ boots on!”
- During the big games, I can tell the score by how loud (and often) all the people in my apartment building cheer or boo.
- World Cup is the top story on most international news sites.
- Even if the electricity goes out during the day (like today) , you know it will be back on by game time. Guaranteed. I don't even want to think about what would happen if the power stayed off for a big game! We can’t always be sure to get electricity back so soon.
- Vuvuzela. They are controversial. Some people love them. Most people hate them. I think they are great. Sure the incessant droning of thousands of vuvuzela can get old. But they are hilarious! I want one for Youth Group! Vuvuzela were around here even before the World Cup (people had them at football and rugby games). They are ridiculously loud and probably annoying in mass quantities but I’m in. Its Africa’s unique mark on Global Football.
So that's it so far! We'll see how the next round goes!
No comments:
Post a Comment