Ok, I'm loving having Theresa visit. Not only is it incredibly fun to hang out with a friend from WAY back in the day, its also fun to be pushed out of my usual boundaries in my own city. I live here. I work here. But I don't get to do all the touristy things around here- mostly because I LIVE here. But I have a guest who doesn't live here and doesn't have the opportunity to feed giraffes every day if she wanted to! So I get to do all the cool stuff in my city now too! Its kinda fun to be a tourist every once in a while!

Today we decided to go to the Animal Orphanage and the Giraffe Center. I'd never done the animal orphanage before- its in the Nairobi National Park (where we had our ill-fated safari adventure last week with the broken down bus, the hippos and the lion!) So we headed back- it was a bit of an adventure to find this place but we got there just as they were letting everyone in for the orphaned elephants' mud bath. So cute!!


For those who are wondering (KELLY) the elephant orphanage is where young (often TINY) elephants are brought when they have been separated from their herd or their mother has been poached or otherwise dies. They each have a handler who lives with them 24/7 to care for them and when they are 4 or so they are taken to another facility inside on of the game reserves where they will be slowly re-released into the wild. They also have some young rhinos.
Then it was off to the giraffe center to feed the giraffes. Its kinda cheesy but where else can you hand feed a giraffe?
2 comments:
So is that an insult to my sister that she is a friend from WAY back, or implying that you are old (cuz if you are old...that makes me old too ;( Anyway I am glad you are both having lots of fun..tell Theresa Hi from me!
@Lyss- its an insult to us all- we are all old now (including you!)
Post a Comment