... the trek north ...

Friday, August 21, 2009

Carpe Diem

So I'm getting more into the swing of this Power Rationing thing. It involves a lot of planning ahead (and a great knowledge of the city- all estates (aka neighborhoods) are split in half (Group A's have power outages M,W,F, Group B's are T,Th,Sat) so if you are going somewhere, you have to figure out where exactly you are going and if that side of the estate is an A or a B. (I know- its kind of confusing- join the club!)

I'm an A- I have power outages M,W,F- so every night you go to bed thinking "what day is it?" "Will I have power tomorrow?" "Will my phone battery last 2 more days?" and since I go to sleep listening to music, I have to set my alarm for 6.15am so I can turn off my computer before the power goes out and drains my battery (since there's no guarantee I'd be able to charge it during the day- we still have random other outages) go back to sleep for an hour and then get up for the day.

It also makes me be a lot more mindful about how much I'm cooking for meals (since the power goes out every other day, leftovers (and most everything in the fridge) goes bad really fast).

But I've learned Power Rationing is all about Seizing the Day. If you have power, do anything and everything you need to do that involves power (shower, write emails, etc). When the power is on, charge everything you have (Ipod, computer, phone, extra batteries). When the internet is working- USE IT! IT CAN AND WILL GO OUT AT A MOMENT'S NOTICE! And when the power's off, you can do all the other non-power activities (washing clothes, reading, etc).

Word on the street is that we will be having this power rationing until the big rains come in November. Good thing we are settling into a system!

No comments: