In my previous post, I forgot to mention the most counter-cultural part of market shopping (at least to me). You have to get used to everyone calling you fat. And they don't mean it to be mean (in fact, friends will say "oh look! You've gained so much weight!" and mean it as a complete compliment! Seriously! It means you obviously have enough money and are doing well enough to eat well and gain weight.). But as you go through the market, all the vendors will say "Come, get jeans! I even have YOUR size" (which in all honesty, I'm considerably taller and bigger then most girls here, so to find something that will fit is an adventure) but its so funny to hear. The best is the vendors who literally tell you "Wow! You're big!" Thanks!
So word to the wise- don't go to the markets if you are struggling with your self-esteem! But seriously- no one means it to be mean or offensive! It's just appropriate to say here! So funny! I just have to remember NOT to complement my friends in the US in such a fashion!
No comments:
Post a Comment