... the trek north ...

Saturday, August 08, 2009

Water Crisis

I wrote in my last post about our electricity issues- its been a long week. 3 full days without any power (and the other 2 had intermittent power) which has made for some very boring days and evenings (today ended with 3 of us playing Eye Spy because there really wasn't anything else to do- we'd made up a movie trivia game, played Name That Car, and Random Swahili Words- Eye Spy was all that was left to play!) Although I'm sure it would have been funny to watch the 3 of us trying to get ready to go pick someone up from the airport tonight using our Ipods/phones as flashlights- I managed to put on makeup with my Ipod shining in the mirror for light) The entire city has power and water rationing because it just hasn't rained. The last rainy season was almost nonexistent and now there just isn't enough water to power the city (we operate on hydro-electric here) or meet its water needs- we are up to 2 power ration days and 2 water ration days a week now. The lack of water and power is inconvenient for us- but deadly for many. Aside from water being difficult to find, cholera is on the rise and in the water source (I always boil and filter my water so I'm not worried about that but not everyone takes that precaution). Animals are finding their way into the city looking for food and water (no lions yet mom- mostly just monkeys).

There are lots of reasons for the climate change- many people are blaming the deforestation of the Mau Forest. Regardless, many many people here are suffering from the illnesses and problems this brings. We are all praying for rain. Lots and lots of rain. We have another rainy season coming up in the next month, hopefully this time it will rain.

No comments: