... the trek north ...

Monday, August 03, 2009

ROUS's: Part 3- the Saga Continues...

So when we last left the story- Devon and I had chased the rat down the side of our apartment building. We were all pretty excited- I had 2 roommates that weren't afraid to be in our house- life is good. Until we got home from church on Sunday. Julia is baking in the kitchen with a friend of ours and out they come, screaming, about a noise in the oven after they had turned it on. They were convinced they were cooking the rat (not a bad plan in my opinion- at least we would know it was dead at that point) but they are freaking out so I go to investigate. The rat's not in the oven, its not in the broiler, and it wasn't behind the back piece of the stove (the good news is I'm getting really good at taking our oven apart and putting it back together again in less then 15 minutes). So the rat has alluded us again- I checked all the cupboards, under the fridge, under the sink- no rat. Christine (the screamer) shows up in the middle of the hunt- she opens the door and the first thing anyone says is "go home! you can't be in here!" Julia won't go back to baking- she's worried its going to jump out at her. So we convince her that she needs to wear my big rain boots- that way it can't run across her feet. So she is cooking in rain boots and a Sunday dress. And we dont' see the rat again all night. Just before bed, I decided to set the trap again and apparently that worked because Julia woke up to a nasty dead rat on the counter this morning! Thankfully she woke up her brother to take care of it.

So we are a rat-free zone for the time being. Let's hope it stays that way!

No comments: