... the trek north ...

Saturday, June 09, 2012

Dress Up

Today, I was invited to a wedding.  I've been to plenty of Kenyan weddings but this is a minority group wedding.  Totally ethnically and culturally different.  So I was asking my teen girls (who happen to be of the same ethnicity) what I should wear.  Every single one of them looked me up and down  and said "well not THAT!" as if I was really thinking of going to a wedding in my jeans, green lantern tshirt and flip flops....   Then they were trying to break it to me gently that I would probably have to wear a dress and you know, do my hair and even wear makeup and earrings!!  I love it!  It just made me laugh.  I don't usually dress up all that much or take much time on hair and makeup but I DO know how to do it when the occasion calls for it!!  I promised to take pictures so they could see me all dressed up.

Oh and on the walk to the road after our meeting, it started to rain.  So one of the little guys and I sang "Singin' In the Rain" and danced like Gene Kelly with his umbrella.  Not that this kiddo knew the movie or the song, but it was too fun!!  Hey, its not like I don't stand out anyways- might as well dance in the rain with the kids! When I told him at the end of the song, the guy jumps in the puddles, the kid said "But isn't he afraid of the dirty water??" 

No comments: