... the trek north ...

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Man Do Things Change

You leave a place for 4 months and you'd be surprised at how much changes.  The neighbor kids are taller. Groceries are more expensive.  The conductors are doing bomb searches at the bus stop.   You  know, the usual.

Security is definitely tighter here since I left.  There really are guys doing wand checks on your bags before you can get on the bus now.  The guard at my office has a wand for security checks now too.  But you know what, that's a good thing.  The world is dangerous.  At times its dangerous here, but it also can be dangerous back home.  At least we are taking the proper precautions to keep safe.  Its just like how having 24/7 security and walls and razor wire around our compounds keeps us safe.  Its not scary, it makes you feel safe and secure. If you can't tell, I'm a 'face your problems head on' kinda gal- so I'm just glad we (as a city) aren't ignoring security risks. 

Some people get bent out of shape when security asks to look at their bag or when guards ask them where they are going in a new compound- I say  "Heck yes look in my bag!!" If they are checking my bag then that means they are checking everyone else's bags and we are as safe as possible. Its not an inconvenience to stay safe.  I often think that when I'm at the airport. People get all upset in the security lines but you know what- at least we are safe.

1 comment:

The Wittz said...

I just realized you were back in Kenya yay! We just got back from Tanazania a little over a week ago. We are in Mombassa for 1 more week witht the Bethany interns and then will be in Nairobi for a week before relocating to Mwingi. Information overlaod sorry. So cool Laura is living in the same apartments as you. I hope you two will have time to be with each other. I hope to see you soon! Expecting another littler girl due in May. Love you!