What do you do when the power keeps cutting in and out all night
(after an entire day of power outages)??? Watching a movie is out. So is taking a shower (no hot water). Cooking is complicated by candle light. You could read. Or
make shadow puppets. Or sleep. Or play I spy. Or sit on the porch and enjoy the fact that Nairobi actually dark for once. (These are all things I've done during power outages by the
way... you have to get creative or go crazy!!)
But tonight, after the power went out for the 4th time in an hour and looked like it was going to be out for a while, I decided it was time to break out my Autumn Tree Photo Puzzle. When I was home this fall, I took about 30
pictures of a big, beautiful tree near my house. They are all close up
pieces of the tree so when you put them together, you get a huge,
layered, beautiful fall tree. It started out as a "let's see if I can
do it", silly kinda project but when it turned out so neat, it ended up morphing
into a whole big thing. My mom wanted to keep it (gotta love moms-
they'll display your art work even if you are almost 30...) but she
thought it would be cool if I put each picture in an acrylic frame and glue those together to add depth to the layers. It took forever to figure it out but in the end it was awesome!! I decided I needed it at my house in Kenya too. Well, the pictures- not the frames. Lets face it, there was no way I was making room for 30 acrylic frames in my luggage!
So with the power out, I got out all the pictures and a bunch of candles and started put the puzzle together by candle light. Which was kinda tricky because you have to match up all the branches and stuff. But it kept me entertained! I finished it up just as the power came back on.
And in the end, it turned to pretty well if I do say so myself! The finished picture I left in MI for my mom is better- the depth and 3D-ness the frames added was really cool but I'll take what I can get! Now I've got my beautiful Michigan Autumn up on my door.


No comments:
Post a Comment