... the trek north ...

Thursday, February 09, 2012

New Locks

So after several break-ins in my compound and in neighboring apartment buildings, we are beefing up security.  The compound manager is talking about CC tv and new guards and that's great (I'll believe it when I see it).  But ultimately I'm responsible for my own security.  I'm always careful to lock my house (and my room) but it seems like the culprit somehow had keys for all these break ins (definitely an inside job- no doors or windows broken but someone gets in and out with all their electronics and cash).  Nice. So far we have been blessed- no one's been in our house but who wants to chance it?  So how do you defend your home when someone apparently has keys to the houses?  Antigen locks.

I'd never heard of an antigen lock before but they are pretty nifty!  We use the big, old-school keys here in pretty much every door (like the keys in Cinderella- remember when the wicked stepmother locked her in the room and she had those massive keys??  They are like that). 


Big keys require big key holes, so there are big key holes in the doors (the kind you could spy through if you wanted- I believe that may have ALSO happened in Cinderella- not sure, its been a while since I've seen it).  The antigen lock fits into the key hole and blocks it.  No one can put a key into it or try to pick the lock until you remove the block that is locked into it (with a separate key). 

 Its really just one more lock to lock on your way out the door (lock your door as usual then put in the antigen lock, lock that and go) but it insures that no one can even try to get into your place while you are away (well they can't get in with a key at least).  Definitely worth the $7 I paid for the antigen lock!!   Why didn't I know about this before??

No comments: