Time to dust off the old Math skills!! One of my teens is having a rough time in school so she's coming in one day a week for some help. We dove in today- long division. How long has it been since I figured out LONG division- the writing out all your work and everything??!?!! A very very long time. And this wasn't just long division- this was long division with decimals. It didn't take long to figure out that the girl really needs to go back to multiplication basics and learning decimal places, and work on those before we move on (phew!! I have a slight reprieve from long division!)
What I don't understand is why to teachers continue to pass our kids onto the next class if they haven't mastered the material from the previous classes?? That is setting them up to fail! At some point, if you don't understand the basics, it will be impossible to move on. Its better to hold them back until they understand the material rather then pass them on and leave them confused!
Now, for the contest. I wrote the above post at work this afternoon and then I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things. I was already getting a good chuckle over a new brand of shortening called "COWBOY Spesheli Cooking Fat" Now I'm pretty sure "spesheli" isn't a swahili word- its a swahili-ized "special". And why do cowboys love this particular brand?? Are there even cowboys in Kenya??? So I'm getting a good laugh over the Cowboy shortening and stuff. I paid for my groceries and the cashier told me "You won!" then he told me to go get my prize from this table outside. People were winning shampoo (jealous!) and snacks. Guess what I won??
2.3lbs of margarine!!! Woo-hoo!!!!! I'm not being sarcastic- I love to win anything!! Now what to DO with 2.3lbs of margarine??? Not a clue. I don't think I use that much margarine in a year. I guess I'll cook it into something for my teens.
No comments:
Post a Comment