... the trek north ...

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Happy Valentines Day!

I love to bake.  And I will take just about any opportunity to bake for my teens.  They don't get a lot of sweets and they aren't able to bake at home (I'd estimate that none of our families have access to an oven, they all cook on either charcoal or kerosene stoves).  So they don't actually know how to bake- although that's going to change.  Some of the girls want to start learning to bake, so a few are going to come by my house for cooking lessons.  I'll teach them somethings (pizza, cake and cookies are all high up on the list) and they will teach me something too (we're talking about samosa, injera and pilau) Fun!!! 

But this weekend I decided to make my famous sugar cookie recipe, using my grandma and grandpa's old cookie cutters that I got when I was home on furlough (its more fun to use the old cookie cutters! Thanks Grandpa!)  and I figured out how to color the sugar on top to make them extra festive (Pinterest is just amazing!! You can learn anything on there!). 


No comments: